Our goal here at the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary and College is to cultivate community throughout the campus. Student Services seeks to provide resources to those students who express needs. They give information and assistance to students seeking counselling for mental and emotional health. Information and resources for employment opportunities are provided. They provide grocery cards (at the director’s disposal) for those in such a crucial state of affairs. Student Services also partners with local churches who have provided gifts and gift cards at Christmas to families we have identified to be in need.
Friday Fellowship is very important and valued by the seminary community. We enjoy having involvement from students, staff and faculty, local churches and church plants, ministries and organizations who host the fellowship each week. It’s a great time to update and provide students with announcements of activities and community events. Throughout the year we have themes such as, Thanksgiving meal, Chili Cook-off, Easter meal, Mexican Fiestas, Korean BBQ, pancake breakfast, pizza day, and more. We invite families of students, guests on campus, potential new students, and supportive leaders to attend these fellowships.
Student Services works with Student Council to plan for and initiate activities and opportunities for students. The Student Council meets regularly with the President and Student Services, as well as on their own, to discuss campus life and needs, to pray, plan events, and host activities that help meet needs and foster community. They lead in chapel each semester and provide leadership to the student body.
Women in Ministry
We spend much prayer and energy on making sure the women (students, wives, faculty, and staff) on campus are connected, encouraged, equipped, and are given opportunity to build community.
We have a women’s event night once a month and a retreat in the fall. Involvement in this ministry will equip women for a life of ministry in their churches and communities. We create opportunities for fun, prayer, and spiritual growth. We spend time connected one-on-one with women as much as possible.
Each year we have a Friday and Saturday retreat/seminar experience for the entire community of students, faculty, and staff. The focus changes yearly but last year’s event was on emotional and mental health, seeking to inform and equip everyone into understand ministry realities of compassion fatigue, depression, and how to remain emotionally and mentally healthy throughout family life, ministry, and caring for others.
Student Services actively participates in the orientation process of new students in the fall and spring semesters. We provide incoming students with important information and resources for settling into school, Cochrane, and Alberta. We focus on the needs of international students as they arrive, including transportation from the airport to campus, and getting them settled into housing. We try to connect new students with returning students and families for friendship and interaction.
We participate in a day set aside to allow high school and potential new students to tour and interact with faculty and staff in hopes of recruiting and registering new students each fall/spring.
CSBS&C Community Focused Events
- Games night and Friday night fun for new/returning students
- Back to School Barbeque and Ice Cream Social
- Women’s Retreat
- Women in Ministry Events – monthly
- Bunko night
- Equipping night – hospitality and relationships
- Christmas Banquet – outreach for women in the Cochrane Community
- Healthy Living focus night
- Student/wife led night
- Equipping night – panel of IMB Missionary women/wives
- Graduation tea and year-end celebration
- Prayer gathering – encourage and initiate women meeting to pray monthly
- Summer Bible/Book Study – 2 small groups – 11 weeks
- Ping Pong Tournaments
- Christmas Party
- International Dinner
- Enrichment Retreat – Emotional/Mental Health
- Church Fair – to encourage local church involvement and partnership – invite all CNBC churches/church plants and all students/families to meet and interact with Pastors/leaders
- Free Food on Thursday-Friday
- Cobb’s Bread on Tuesday – Wednesday
- Community Clean Up and BBQ – June
We encourage active living and involvement within the community and in Cochrane:
- Passes to local Recreation Centre (Spray Lake Sawmills Family Sports Centre)
- Fishing Pond –Fishing Derby and family license/equipment to fish all season
- Equipment to loan/check out – volleyball, croquet, bocci ball
- Activities to play/use – soccer, basketball, ping pong
- Work out/exercise room
- Farmer’s Market and other community events